11th January 2019 – SportsIn Cycling had the privilege of being invited to the OCBC Cycle launch event at orchardgateway earlier today. Hundreds of excited cycling enthusiasts were lined up to register for the event.
The first two participants, Bryan Phyo, 33 and his wife Michelle Myat, 35, started lining up at the venue from 2pm the day before. They’ve been married for 6 years #couplegoals. Bryan has been attending the event for the past three consecutive years while Michelle has been attending the past two events.
They each won a gift pack consisting of a 700C Aleoca Hybrid Bike and a GoPro Hero7 Silver, all amounting to S$840.
OCBC Cycle will be rolling out its 11th edition this year where the event will be held over two days, 11th and 12th May 2019.
Highlights announced for this year’s event
One of the main key highlights announced at this years launch event was the new green initiatives that OCBC Cycle will be implementing. No longer will single-use plastic items be used for the event.
They’ve also promised to do away with individual paper flyers, making full use of large displays situated at the event collection area instead.
Here is the full list of the green initiatives the event will be implementing this year:
- Planting one tree for every 50 cyclists
- Stopping the usage of single-use plastics in our event pack collection
- Issuing event bibs in wood-free paper envelopes
- Wrapping event medals in tracing paper
- Organising workshops on recycling and upcycling
- Replacing trophies for the OCBC Cycle Speedway Championships with reusable steel tumblers from Hydro Flask
- Repurposing event banners and used plastic containers into useful items, such as tote bags and furniture
Changes in Categories
A few changes and additions to the categories have also been made this year. The Corporate Race category is now back by popular demand.
In partnership with The Business Times, The Business Times Corporate Rally will now consist of the OCBC Cycle Corporate Chase as well as the OCBC Cycle Speedway Corporate Championship.
This year’s OCBC Cycle Speedway Corporate Championship will be moved to the Stadium Drive instead. Companies can sign up a team of four employees to ride in a team relay format.
The previous three OCBC Cycle Mighty Savers Kids and Family Rides will be merged into one big category. This makes easier for families with children aged 5-12 years old to be able to ride together on Stadium Drive.
How to register
Online registration starts 14th January. Early Birds will get discounted prices until 12th February 2019, after which normal registration will carry on from 13th February to 12th April 2019. Online registration fees can also be found at the event website.
- Cycling Without Age Singapore & Dr William Wan Team Up To Raise Funds To Take Isolated Elderly on Trishaw Joyrides - October 19, 2022
- Team BikeExchange-Jayco confirms one-year contract extension for Singaporean rider Chelsie Tan - October 4, 2022
- OCBC CYCLE NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP (ROAD – INDIVIDUAL TIME TRIAL) - July 18, 2022