According to a press release by Ministry of Home Affairs on 21 February 2019, they have come to a decision that they will enhance criminal penalties and raise composition sums for road traffic offences, in order to “strengthen deterrence against irresponsible driving”.
Cyclists who flout traffic laws will face harsher penalties as the Ministry of Home Affairs has recently proposed changes to the Road Traffic Act.
If you are a cyclist, you will be fined S$75 if …
1. You ride carelessly.
2. You are caught not wearing a helmet while riding on the road.
3. You are caught beating the red light.
The revised laws and penalties will begin from 1st of April this year.
Please refer to the table below for the revised penalty. The composition sums have not been increased for more than 20 years.
For more information on the updated fines and penalties for motorists, pedestrians and cyclists, please visit: https://www.mha.gov.sg/newsroom/press-release/news/strengthening-deterrence-against-irresponsible-driving
- The Ultimate Guide For Beginner Cyclists - September 14, 2022
- Cycle for Good 2021 - July 15, 2021
- Mountain Biking In Subic Bay - December 17, 2019